Project A19: Maintenance of chromatin organization by Isw1a during gene transcription
Biomedical Centrum (BMC)
Grosshaderner Str. 9
+49 (0)89 2180 77098
Website: Regulation of transcription through chromatin organisation
- 1997-2001 Study of Biochemistry, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
- 2001 Bachelor of Science (First Class Honours)
Advanced Professional Degrees
- 2006 Doctor of Philosophy, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK. Advisors: Prof. Gordon Lindsay and Dr. Olwyn Byron
- 2002 Master of Research, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK. Advisors: Dr. Olwyn Byron, Prof. Neil Isaacs and Prof. Graham Coombs
- since 2014 Professor of Molecular Genome Biology at the Adolf-Butenandt-Institute, Faculty of Medicine, LMU Munich, Germany
- since 2014 Head of Biophysics Core Facility, Biomedical Center Munich
- 2007-2013 Postdoctoral fellow with Dr. Jerry Workman, Stowers Institute for Medical, Research, Kansas City, MO, USA
- 2006 Research assistant with Prof. Gordon Lindsay & Dr. Olwyn Byron, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Honours and Awards
- 2015 Award from the Friedrich Baur Stiftung.
- 2015 Large Equipment Grant (Member) from DFG and the Bavarian Government.
- 2014 Schering Foundation Young Leaders in Science Fellowship.
- 2006 Wellcome Trust “Value In People” Award.
- 2005 Protein Society Finn Wold Travel Award.
- 2005 Biochemical Society Travel Grant.
- 2005 British Society for Cell Biology Honor Fell Travel Award.
- 2001-2005 Wellcome Trust 4-year PhD Studentship.
Other professional activities
- since 2015 Board member, Biomedical Center (BMC), Munich.
- since 2015 Organisation of workshops and seminars for the Biophysics Core Facility, BMC Munich (2-3 events per year.).
- since 2014 Establishment and management of Biophysics Core Facility, Biomedical Center (BMC), Munich.
- since 2014 Teaching Biochemistry I to medical students, LMU Munich. Lectures, practicals and seminars.
- since 2013 Review of manuscripts/book proposals for Biochemistry, BMC Genomics, Epigentics and Chromatin, FEBS Journal, CRC Press.
Selected CRC-related Publications
Smolle MM* (2018), Chd1 bends over backward to remodel, Nature Struct Mol Biol, 25:2-3.
Dutta A, Gogol M, Kim JH, Smolle M, Venkatesh S, Workman JL (2014). Swi/Snf dynamics on stress responsive genes is governed by competitive bromodomain interactions. Genes and Development 28, 2314-2330.
Venkatesh S, Workman JL & Smolle M (2013). UpSETing chromatin during non-coding RNA production. Epigenetics and Chromatin, 6:16.
Mosley AL, Hunter GO, Sardiu M, Smolle M, Workman JL, Florens L & Washburn MP (2013). The RNA Polymerase II subunits Rpb4 and Rpb7 dissociate during transcription elongation. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 12, 1530-1538.
Smolle M & Workman JL (2013). Transcription-associated histone modifications and cryptic transcription. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1829, 84-97.
Smolle M, Workman JL & Venkatesh S (2013). reSETting chromatin during transcription. Epigenetics 8, 10-15.