Project A25: Role of the nuclear membrane protein Lem2 in retrotransposon silencing and RNA surveillance
Department of Physiological Chemistry
Grosshaderner Str. 9
Phone: +49 (0)89 2180 - 77128
Fax: +49 (0)89 2180 - 77093
Website: Spatial regulation and dynamic control of chromatin and genome architecture
- 1999 Diploma in Biology Albert Ludwig University Freiburg, Germany. Thesis: Analysis of blue/UV light-dependent chalcon synthase signal transduction in parsley cell culture. Supervisor: Prof. Eberhard Schaefer
Advanced Professional Degrees
- 2005 Ph.D. in Biology Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany/ Max Planck-Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany. Thesis: ER-associated degradation (ERAD): Novel components and cellular regulation. Supervisor: Prof. Stefan Jentsch
- since Feb 2012 Independent Group leader, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany Faculty of Medicine Adolf-Butenandt-Institute, Department of Physiological Chemistry Regulatory networks controlling heterochromatin in S. pombe.
- 2005 – 2011 Postdoctoral fellow, University of California, San Francisco (UCFS), CA, USA Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics Advisor: Dr. Hiten D. Madhani Mechanisms of heterochromatic gene silencing in S. pombe
- 1999 – 2000 Research associate, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany Advisor: Dr. Christian Behl Glucocorticoid-mediated cellular stress in hippocampal cells
Other Professional Activities
- since 2013 Associated member of the International Max Planck Research School for Molecular and Cellular Life Science (IMPRS-LS)
- since 2012 Board member of the EC-funded Network of Excellence (NoE) EpiGeneSys, Representative of junior group leaders (RISE1 members)
- since 2012 Founder and Organizer, Munich S. pombe Chromatin Club, LMU
- 2012 Reviewer for the French National Research Agency (ANR)
- 2007-2011 Founder and Co-organizer, Chromatin Club seminar series, UCSF
- 2007 Conference assistant of the Keystone Symposia on Epigenetics Regulation of Chromatin Structure in Development and Disease, Breckenridge, Colorado, USA.
Honours and Awards
- 2011 Research Integrating Systems Biology in Epigenetics 1 (RISE1) Young Investigator Award
- 2010 Keystone Symposia Scholarship Award
- 2006-2008 Deutsche Forschungsgesellschaft (DFG) Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
Selected CRC project-related publications
Georgescu PR, Capella M, Fischer-Burkart S, Braun S* (2020). The euchromatic histone mark H3K36me3 preserves heterochromatin through sequestration of an acetyltransferase complex in fission yeast. Microbial Cell. 2020 7(3):80-92.
van Emden TS, Forn M, Forné I, Sarkadi Z, Capella M, Martín Caballero L, Fischer-Burkart S, Brönner C, Simonetta M, Toczyski D, Halic M, Imhof A, and Braun S (*) (2018). Shelterin and subtelomeric DNA sequences control nucleosome maintenance and genome stability.
EMBO Rep pii: e47181. doi: 10.15252/embr.201847181
Flury V, Georgescu PR, Iesmantavicius V, Shimada Y, Kuzdere T, Braun S (*), and Bühler M (*) (2017). The histone acetyltransferase Mst2 protects active chromatin form epigenetic silencing by acetylating the ubiquitin ligase Brl1. Mol Cell. 67(2):294-307.
Barrales RR, Forn M, Georgescu P, Sarkadi Z, Braun S (*) (2016). Control of heterochromatin localization and silencing by the nuclear membrane protein Lem2. Genes Dev. 30(2): 133-48.
Braun S, Garcia JF, Rowley M, Rougemaille M, Shankar S, Madhani HD (2011). The ubiquitin ligase Cul4-Ddb1Cdt2 inhibits the invasion of a boundary-associated anti-silencing factor into heterochromatin. Cell 144(1):41-54.