Project A25: Role of the nuclear membrane protein Lem2 in retrotransposon silencing and RNA surveillance
- 1999 Diploma in Biology Albert Ludwig University Freiburg, Germany. Thesis: Analysis of blue/UV light-dependent chalcon synthase signal transduction in parsley cell culture. Supervisor: Prof. Eberhard Schaefer
Advanced Professional Degrees
- 2005 Ph.D. in Biology Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany/ Max Planck-Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany. Thesis: ER-associated degradation (ERAD): Novel components and cellular regulation. Supervisor: Prof. Stefan Jentsch
- since Feb 2012 Independent Group leader, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany Faculty of Medicine Adolf-Butenandt-Institute, Department of Physiological Chemistry Regulatory networks controlling heterochromatin in S. pombe.
- 2005 – 2011 Postdoctoral fellow, University of California, San Francisco (UCFS), CA, USA Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics Advisor: Dr. Hiten D. Madhani Mechanisms of heterochromatic gene silencing in S. pombe
- 1999 – 2000 Research associate, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany Advisor: Dr. Christian Behl Glucocorticoid-mediated cellular stress in hippocampal cells
Other Professional Activities
- since 2013 Associated member of the International Max Planck Research School for Molecular and Cellular Life Science (IMPRS-LS)
- since 2012 Board member of the EC-funded Network of Excellence (NoE) EpiGeneSys, Representative of junior group leaders (RISE1 members)
- since 2012 Founder and Organizer, Munich S. pombe Chromatin Club, LMU
- 2012 Reviewer for the French National Research Agency (ANR)
- 2007-2011 Founder and Co-organizer, Chromatin Club seminar series, UCSF
- 2007 Conference assistant of the Keystone Symposia on Epigenetics Regulation of Chromatin Structure in Development and Disease, Breckenridge, Colorado, USA.
Honours and Awards
- 2011 Research Integrating Systems Biology in Epigenetics 1 (RISE1) Young Investigator Award
- 2010 Keystone Symposia Scholarship Award
- 2006-2008 Deutsche Forschungsgesellschaft (DFG) Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
Selected CRC project-related publications
Barrales, R.R., Forn, M., Georgescu, P.R., Sarkadi, Z., and Braun, S. (2016). Control of heterochromatin localization and silencing by the nuclear membrane protein Lem2. Genes Dev 30, 133–148.
Al-Sady, B., Greenstein, R.A., El-Samad, H.J., Braun, S., and Madhani, H.D. (2016). Sensitive and Quantitative Three-Color Protein Imaging in Fission Yeast Using Spectrally Diverse, Recoded Fluorescent Proteins with Experimentally-Characterized In Vivo Maturation Kinetics. PLoS ONE 11, e0159292.
Verrier, L., Taglini, F., Barrales, R.R., Webb, S., Urano, T., Braun, S., and Bayne, E.H. (2015).Global regulation of heterochromatin spreading by Leo1. Open Biol 5, 150045–150045.
Rougemaille, M., Braun, S., Coyle, S., Dumesic, P.A., Garcia, J.F., Isaac, R.S., Libri, D., Narlikar, G.J., and Madhani, H.D. (2012). Ers1 links HP1 to RNAi. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109, 11258–11263.
Braun, S., Garcia, J.F., Rowley, M., Rougemaille, M., Shankar, S., and Madhani, H.D. (2011). The Cul4-Ddb1(Cdt)² ubiquitin ligase inhibits invasion of a boundary-associated antisilencing factor into heterochromatin. Cell 144, 41–54.