Project A23: Chromatin as limiting factor in the regulation of DNA repair pathway choice
- 2000 Diploma in Biochemistry, University of Hannover & Hannover Medical School, Germany. Thesis on “Characterization of NGF-induced phosphorylation of endocytotic proteins in PC12-cells“, Supervisor: Dr. Rudolf Bauerfeind
Advanced Professional Degrees
- 2005 PhD in Biology, Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich, Germany & Max-Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany; Thesis: “Regulation of genome stability by SUMO- and ubiquitin-modification of PCNA“
- since 2010 Research Group leader (Otto-Hahn Research Group, W2) Max-Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany
- 2006- 2010 Postdoctoral work at London Research Institute, CRUK, South Mimms, UK, Chromosome Replication Lab (Prof. John Diffley)
- 2005- 2006 Postdoctoral work at the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany, Dept. of Molecular Cell Biology (Prof. Stefan Jentsch)
- 2001-2005 PhD work at the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany, Dept. of Molecular Cell Biology (Prof. Stefan Jentsch)
Honors and Awards
- 2007- 2010 Human Frontier Science Program Long Term Fellowship
- 2007 EMBO Long Term Fellowship
- 2006 - 2010 Cancer Research UK Research Fellowship
- 2006 Otto-Hahn Award (Opportunity to start an independent Junior Research Group – Max-Planck Society, Germany)
- 2006 Otto-Hahn Medal (Max-Planck Society, Germany)
- 2006 MPIB Junior Research Award (Max-Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany)
Other professional activities
- since 2016 Treasurer and elected Board Member, German Society of DNA Repair Research (DGDR)
- 2016 Elected Representative of Research Group Leaders (Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry)
- 2016 member of the organizing committee of the conference “DNA Repair”, Essen, Germany
- 2014-2016 member of the Advisory Board, German Society of DNA Repair Research (DGDR)
- since 2014 External member of PhD examination boards and thesis advisory committees at ETH Zürich, Switzerland; University of Ulm; LMU Munich
- since 2011 Reviewer for >10 scientific journals
- since 2011 Reviewer for funding agencies (German Research Council (DFG), Max Planck Society, Medical Research Council, UK, Swiss National Science Foundation, Wellcome Trust, UK)
- since 2010 Junior Faculty Member - International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) „From Biology to Medicine‟
Selected CRC project-releated publications
Bittmann J, Grigatis R, Amarell S, Galanti L, Wilfling F, Matos J, Pfander B*. (2020) A toolbox for cell cycle restricted protein expression in yeast reveals principles underlying regulation of structure-selective nucleases
eLife. doi: 10.7554/eLife.52459.
Lee C, Wilfling F, Ronchi P, Allegretti M, Mosalaganti S, Jentsch S, Beck M*, Pfander B*. (2020) Selective autophagy degrades nuclear pore complexes.
Nature Cell Biology. 22(2), 159-166, doi: 10.1038/s41556-019-0459-2
Bantele SC, Lisby M, Pfander B*. (2019). Quantitative sensing of ssDNA accumulation by DNA damage checkpoint mediators.
Nature Communications. 10, doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-08889-5
Lademann CA, Renkawitz J, Pfander B*, Jentsch S (2017). The INO80 complex removes H2A.Z to promote presynaptic filament formation during homologous recombination.
Cell Reports. 19(7):1294-1303
Bantele SC, Ferreira P, Gritenaite D, Boos D, Pfander B* (2017). Targeting of the Fun30 nucleosome remodeller by the Dpb11 scaffold facilitates cell cycle-regulated DNA end resection.
eLife. doi: 10.7554/eLife.21687.