Project A15: The role of histone H2A monoubiquitylation and deubiquitylation in Drosophila
- 1983–1988 Studies in Zoology and Molecular Biology (Diploma), University of Zürich, Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Mariann Bienz
Advanced Professional Degrees
- 1991 PhD in Zoology, University of Zürich, Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Mariann Bienz
- since July 2010 Group leader at the Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry in Martinsried, Germany
- 2001-2010 Group leader in the Genome Biology Unit at the EMBL in Heidelberg, Germany
- 1996-2001 Junior group leader at the Max-Planck-Institute for Developmental Biology in Tübingen, Germany
- 1992-1996 Postdoctoral research at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge, England (laboratory of Dr. P.A. Lawrence)
- 2011 Elected Member of EMBO (European Molecular Biology Organisation)
Selected CRC project-related publications
Laprell, F., Finkl, K. and Müller, J. (2017). Propagation of Polycomb-repressed chromatin requires sequence-specific recruitment to DNA. Science 356, 85-88.
Frey, F., Sheahan, T., Finkl, K., Stoehr, G., Mann, M., Benda, C. and Müller, J. (2016). Molecular basis of PRC1 targeting to Polycomb Response Elements by PhoRC. Genes Dev 30, 1116–1127.
Pengelly, A.R., Kalb, R, Finkl, K. and Müller, J. (2015). Transcriptional repression by PRC1 in the absence of H2A monoubiquitylation. Genes Dev 29: 1487-1492.
Pengelly, A.R., Copur, O., Jäckle, H., Herzig, A. and Müller, J. (2013). A histone mutant reproduces the phenotype caused by loss of histone modifying factor Polycomb. Science 339, 698-699.
Scheuermann, J.C., Gaytán de Ayala Alonso, A., Oktaba, K., Ly-Hartig, N, McGinty, R.K., Fraterman, S., Wilm, M., Muir, T.W. and Müller, J. (2010). Histone H2A deubiquitinase activity of the Polycomb repressive complex PR-DUB. Nature 465, 243-247.