Chair of the CRC 1064
Project A01: Domino nucleosome remodeling complexes and histone H2A.V dynamics in transcription and DNA repair
1984 Diploma in Biology; Advisor: Prof. G. Schütz, University of Heidelberg
- 1978-1983 Study of Biology, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität, Heidelberg
Advanced Professional Degrees
- 1996 Habilitation, Ruprecht-Karls Universität, Heidelberg "Venia legendi" (teaching certificate) in Molecular Biology
- 1987 Promotion ‚summa cum laude’, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität, Heidelberg Advisor: Prof. G. Schütz, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg
Positions held since
- since 2015 Acting Chair of the Biomedical Center Munich
- since 1999 Full Professor and Head of Molecular Biology Section, Adolf-Butenandt- Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München
- 1991-1999 Group leader, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), Heidelberg
- 1988-1991 Postdoctoral fellow with Dr. Carl Wu, Laboratory of Biochemistry, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, USA
- 1987-1988 Postdoctoral fellow with Prof. G. Schütz, DKFZ, Heidelberg
Honours and Awards
- 1987 Young Investigators Award, "Society for Molecular Biology", Heidelberg
- 1988 Richtzenhain-Prize for Cancer Research, DKFZ, Heidelberg 2000 Elected Member of EMBO (European Molecular Biology Organisation)
- 2005 Gottfried-Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
- 2007 Elected Member of Academia Europaea
- 2007 Elected Member of the German Academy of Science ‘Leopoldina’
- 2008, 2011 Elected Member of the Study section ‘Cell Biology of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG Fachgutachter Zellbiologie)
- 2011 ERC Advanced Grant
- 2016 DFG Reinhardt-Koselleck Grant awarded
- 2016 Elected Member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences
Other professional activities
- since 2002 Spokesperson and Organiser of the Transregio 5 DFG Research Network
- since 2002 Elected member of the Faculty Council of the Medical Faculty
- 2004 – 2005 EMBO Long Term Fellowship Committee
- 2005 –2007 Selection Committee for the Award of the Heinz-Maier Leibnitz-Prize of the German Research Council (DFG)
- 2005 –2009 Scientific Advisory Board, Fritz Lippmann Institute for Aging Research, Jena
- since 2003 Faculty Representative responsible for the development of a BioMedical Center
- 2005 Founding Member and Member of the Steering Committee of the International Max Planck Research School (IMPTRS) ‘From Biology to Medicine’
- 2007 Founding Member and Member of the Coordination Panel of the Excellence Cluster ‘Munich Center for Integrated Protein Science Munich (CiPSM)
- since 2008 Acting Director of the Adolf-Butenandt-Institute
- since 2008 Member of the ‘Center for Advanced Studies’ of the University of Munich
- 2011 Member of the Excellence Cluster CiPSM II
- 2011 Member of the Graduate School ‘Quantitative Biosciences, Munich’
- 2015 Board of Trustees, Max-Planck-Institutes for Biochemistry and Neurobiology, Martinsried
- 2015 Scientific Advisory Board, MPI for Molecular Biomedicine, Münster
- 2016 Scientific Advisory Board, Institute for Molecular Biology (IMB), Mainz
- 2016 Scientific Advisory Board, Biochemistry Center Heidelberg (BZH)
- 2016 EMBL Council, German Delegate
Selected Publications related to project:
Scacchetti A & Becker PB (2020) Variation on a theme: Evolutionary strategies for H2A.Z exchange by SWR1-type remodelers. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 70: 1–9.
Scacchetti A, Schauer T, Reim A, Apostolou Z, Campos Sparr A, Krause S, Heun P, Wierer M & Becker PB (2020) Drosophila SWR1 and NuA4 complexes are defined by DOMINO isoforms. eLife 9: 6270.
Baldi S, Korber P & Becker PB (2020) Beads on a string - nucleosome array arrangements and folding of the chromatin fiber. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 27: 109–118.
Harpprecht L, Baldi S, Schauer T, Schmidt A, Bange T, Robles MS, Kremmer E, Imhof A & Becker PB (2019) A Drosophila cell-free system that senses DNA breaks and triggers phosphorylation signalling. Nucleic Acids Research 36: 114.
Baldi S, Jain DS, Harpprecht L, Zabel A, Scheibe M, Butter F, Straub T & Becker PB (2018) Genome-wide Rules of Nucleosome Phasing in Drosophila. Molecular Cell 72: 661–672.
Baldi S, Krebs S, Blum H & Becker PB (2018) Genome-wide measurement of local nucleosome array regularity and spacing by nanopore sequencing. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 25: 894–901.