Project A28 - Characterization of the chromatin organization response to food deprivation in the intestine of C. elegans
- 2004 - 2006 Master of science in Molecular Biology. “Regulation of alternative pre-mRNA splicing during oncogenesis in human cells”. Università degli Studi di Pavia, Italy. Laboratory of Dr. Biamonti, Institute of Molecular Genetics - National Research Council, Pavia, Italy.
- 2001 - 2004 Bachelor of science in Biological Sciences. “Using minigenes in alternative pre-mRNA splicing assays”. Università degli Studi di Pavia, Pavia, Italy. Laboratory of Dr. Biamonti, Institute of Molecular Genetics - National Research Council, Pavia, Italy
Advanced Academic Qualifications
- 2011 Doctorate in Molecular and Cellular Biology: “Characterization of the epigenetic mechanism at the basis of FSHD muscular dystrophy”, International PhD Program, Vita-Salute University San Raffaele, Milan (Italy) and Open University (UK), 31.08.2011, PhD supervisor: Dr. Davide Gabellini.
- since 2020 Junior Group Leader, Institute of Functional Epigenetics, Helmholtz Zentrum, Munich, Germany
- 2013 - 2020 Postdoctoral researcher, Susan Gasser laboratory, Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel, Switzerland
- 2011 - 2013 Research fellow, Davide Gabellini laboratory, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
- 2009 Eurasnet Laboratory Exchange fellow, Institute of Molecular Medicine, Lisbon, Portugal. Laboratory of Prof. Maria Carmo-Fonseca. “RNA and DNA fluorescence in situ hybridization”.
- 2006 Visiting scientist, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, USA. Laboratory of Dr. Michael R. Green. “In vitro methods for studying RNA-protein interaction.”
Honours and Awards
- 2015 - 2016 Marie Curie Intra European Fellowship (FP7).
- 2014 EMBO Long Term Fellowship.
- 2014 Human Frontiers Science Program Long-Term Fellowship (kindly declined).
- 2012 “Nicolò Copernico Award” for excellence in biomedical sciences from the Università degli Studi di Ferrara, Italy.
- 2010 - 2011 FacioScapuloHumeral Society Pre-doctoral Fellowship.
- 2006 Short Term Mobility Fellowship, Italian National Research Council.
Cabianca DS, Muñoz-Jiménez C, Kalck V, Gaidatzis D, Padeken J, Seeber A, Askjaer P, and Gasser SM (2019) Active chromatin marks drive spatial sequestration of heterochromatin in differentiated cells. Nature 569 (7758):734-739.
Cabianca DS, Gasser SM (2016) Spatial segregation of heterochromatin: uncovering functionality in a multicellular organism. Nucleus 3; 7(3):301-7.
Cabianca DS, Casa V, Bodega B, Xynos A, Ginelli E, Tanaka Y, Gabellini D (2012) A long ncRNA links copy number variation to a polycomb/trithorax epigenetic switch in FSHD muscular dystrophy. Cell 149:819-31.
Cabianca DS, Gabellini D (2010) The cell biology of disease: FSHD: copy number variations on the theme of muscular dystrophy. J Cell Biol 191:1049-60.
Gonzalez-Sandoval A, Towbin BD, Kalck V, Cabianca DS, Gaidatzis D, Hauer MH, Geng L, Wang L, Yang T, Wang X, Zhao K, Gasser SM (2015) Perinuclear Anchoring of H3K9-Methylated Chromatin Stabilizes Induced Cell Fate in C. elegans Embryos. Cell 3;163(6):1333-47.